Have you ever read the ingredients list on tubs of ice cream at the supermarket. It becomes frighteningly clear that most commercial varieties of this delicious desert (or breakfast if you are so inclined!) have far more sinister items contained within than just frozen cream. There are a number of chemical thickening agents, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. Not to mention a truckload of sugar. But not to worry, help is at hand. Try the healthy ice cream recipe below and you will never frequent the frozen food section of your local supermarket again (and you really can eat it for breakfast and not feel guilty).
- Take 600ml of fresh cream and pour it into a saucepan
- Add a 400ml can of coconut cream
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey
- Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste
- Stir this together on low heat until it is hot but not simmering
- In a heatproof bowl whisk together 3 egg yolks
- Pour the hot cream mixture slowly over the egg yolks, whisking the whole time
- Place the bowl in the fridge until the mixture is cool
- Place the cooled mixture into your ice cream maker (believe me it is worth the investment) and churn for approximately 25 minutes
Voila, a tub of super creamy, super healthy ice cream. For a chocolate version, just add 2 tablespoons of raw cacao to the recipe above.
Yours in health,